“No one wants to be hit over the head with product features or your ravings about how great your product is.” —Ilya Spitalnik (PowToon)
During my marketing research, Ilva Spitalnik’s video, intrigued me with the idea of using cartoons in my blogs, promotions, and newsletters.
Ilya Spitalnik described PowToon as an animated presentation platform to create a video in minutes. PowToon has a free version and a pay version with more features and options.
But why should we bother to learn how to animate cartoons for communication or promotion?
Reason 1. Spitalnik says: “Ever since childhood we’ve been conditioned to love cartoons and associate them with fun and harmless entertainment.”
So, says Spitalnik, when we watch cartoons:
- we let our guard down
- our minds accept the message
- we view cartoons with less criticism and defensive attitudes
Cartoons can be powerful in promoting a product or message. Click to tweet.
Reason 2. Spitalnik says, “The level of abstraction in cartoons allows us to focus on the bigger message.”
- the viewer is able to evaluate the real benefits being presented
- the viewer isn’t distracted in evaluating nonessential details
Spitalnik gives an example comparing a drawing of a simple camera to a photo of a high-powered camera. When looking at the drawing, the viewer is more likely to think someone is going to take a picture. When looking at the photo, the viewer starts evaluating such things as the cost of the camera and how complicated it is.
Promo cartoons draw less criticism and help viewers focus on the real message. Click to tweet.
Spitalnik adds: “By using cartoons, you eliminate the criticizing instinct, even for a few moments, opening people up to your core message.”
- Turn your message into a clear and concise story. People want to be drawn in by a story. Then create the cartoon. View Spitalnik’s video to learn what elements you should include in your story.
- Keep your video less than or equal to 90 seconds
Draw viewers to your message by telling a story in a cartoon. Click to tweet.
Here’s the video I created just for fun using PowToon’s free version. The animation is low scale, but it’s my first attempt. Note: Here is the official book trailer.
What are your thoughts about using cartoons to send a message or promote a product?