You can pay forward the writing help you received and continue on the road to excellence at the same time.
I pay forward the coaching I received in my writing journey with the same gems that molded me most.
books on writing
Here are thoughts and pointers on each.
- Don’t sign up to be a judge, if you’re not able to give the entries the time they need.
- Find something the entrant did well and build from there.
- Include examples in your feedback. Some of us need applications to get it.
- Don’t assume, because you gave the instructions, participants have gotten the principles. Give the instructions in an alternate way.
- Give many examples.
- The more workshops you lead on the subject, the more pitfalls in understanding you’ll observe and be able to address.
- More tips. And more.
3. Join a critique group. Because the rest of the group will voice the obvious problems, try listening for a subtle problem. For example, the writer may use vague words throughout the scene. Give suggestions for specific words that will get the writer’s juices flowing.
- For online or email groups, limit the number of people. If you’re writing, marketing, and working on your platform, you won’t have time to do a good job on six submissions each week.
- Learn the level of “tell-it-like-it-is” each member can handle, but always give feedback in a non-threatening manner.
- Give an exercise that participants can apply to their work in progress and provide time for participants to creep away and work on it.
- Schedule time for participants to do what they like best – talk about writing.
- Do the research.
- Write posts on the writing activity you’re doing that week, e.g. softening an unlikeable protagonist.
- Read magazines like Writer’s Digest.
- Use your writing posts or daily tips as the groundwork for your book.
- Post on creating a book from a blog.
I’ve found that every time I pay forward the help I’ve received, my own work moves toward my goal for excellence.
Pay forward the writing help you’ve received with these 6 activities. Click to tweet.
How do you pay forward the help you have received so far?
COOKING UP KISSES – the $0.99 deal for all five books ends July 18.
Five scrumptious e-book romance novellas, all for $0.99 or free on KindleUnlimited. Here’s the link. Here are the blurbs: